Every week, The GLAAD Wrap brings you LGBT-related entertainment news highlights, fresh stuff to watch out for, and fun diversions to help you kick off the weekend.
1) Any Day Now, starring Alan Cumming and Garrett Dillahunt and directed by Travis Fine, opens in limited release this weekend and already has won 10 audience awards from national film festivals. The film is set in the late 1970s and based on a true story and follows a gay couple battling a biased legal system to adopt Marco, a teenager with Down Syndrome who was neglected by his mother. Find screenings in your area at the film’s website and watch the trailer below.
2) New web series Eastsiders premieres today from award winning playwright Kit Williamson. The story follows a gay couple, Cal (Williamson) and Thom (Van Hansis, As the World Turns), who are dealing with the aftermath of infidelity. The couple must decide if the lies are too much or if they are willing to work through their problems in this dark comedy about the sad and funny messes we make of our lives. Other cast includes Steven Guarino (Happy Endings), Constance Wu (Torchwood), John Halbach (Children at Play) and Matthew McKelligon (Sassy Pants). Watch the trailer below and check the Eastsiders YouTube channel for the first episode.
3) The Glee Project season 2 contestants Dani Shay and Ali Stroker announced their relationship this week in Shay’s new music video for her single “One.” Stroker said in her official blog, “I never expected to meet Dani and fall in love, and I especially never expected that I would want to share it with the world. Here I am. I couldn’t be more proud to share my love with all of you.” Shay and Stroker are teaming up with Fun.’s The Ally Coalition to promote the video and the couple’s commitment to positive change. Watch “One” by Dani Shay below.
4) In other Glee news, a potential new love interest for Kurt Hummel has been cast. Oliver Kieran-Jones (Episodes) will play the head of the glee club at NYADA (character’s name has not yet been revealed). Kurt was accepted to NYADA in a recent episode following his surprise performance of Broadway hit “Being Alive” at NYADA’s Winter Showcase and his failed season three audition. Jones’ character will recur through season four.
5) RuPaul will be appearing on an early 2013 episode of ABC’s Happy Endings. He is set to play Alex and Jane’s regular hairdresser who agrees to take on Max as a new client. In continued casting news, How I Met Your Mother will soon see the return of Rachel Bilson as Cindy, the lesbian roommate of the woman Ted will eventually marry.
6) Tegan and Sara announced additional tour dates for early 2013 through Canada and the U.S. Tickets are on sale now for both regular admission and the Ultimate Heartthrob VIP Package which is offered at most shows. The VIP package includes premium ticket with early entry, meet and greet with Tegan and Sara, digital copy of Heartthrob (to be delivered on January 29), autographed poster and special VIP laminate. Only 30 VIP packages are available per show, all tickets available for purchase at Ticketmaster.
7) Super Awesome!, a new musical comedy film about two best friends who get one last shot to live their dreams, is looking for funding help to cover shooting and production costs. Two friends, Mark and Gary, find themselves with $250,000 to headline the opening night of an international festival and attempt to write a musical about marriage equality. As the production draws near and everything seems to be going wrong, the men begin to realize how their musical could create change. But will it be too late to pull everything together? Learn more about Super Awesome! at the film’s indiegogo page and watch the trailer below.